What exactly is Google PageRank and why is it important?

I have been doing research on page rank and back links for some time now and I wanted to share with you what I have learned. For those of you who are new to blogging and don’t know much when it comes to Google page rank, I will do my best to explain.  Google bases page rank on several factors, one of them being keywords. SEO, or search engine optimization, which is the art of using the right keywords, plays a big part in obtaining a good page rank. Google’s spiders pick up on these keywords and move you up in the search engine. But from what I see, Google bases their page rank more importantly on traffic, quality content and back links.

WHY PAGE RANK IS IMPORTANT?  For me it is of the utmost importance. I blog for paid to post services and the better your page rank the more money you can make by being offered higher paying opportunities. But page rank is important to bloggers who don’t use paid to post services as well. Most bloggers I know monetize their blogs by using programs like Google Adsense, Yahoo ads, Text Links ads, and recently arriving on the scene Ask.Com and Ad-Click, along with tons of affiliate programs that pay per click, per sale or per referral. You need traffic to make any decent money because it is a numbers game. The more traffic the more possible hits. And if you have good traffic it is usually a given that your page rank will increase.