We are whatever we think we are

I had a conversation with my 27-year-old son today about the hype surrounding The Secret. If you have been living under a rock and haven’t heard of The Secret, it is a huge–I guess you’d call it a movement–that teaches people about the Laws of Attraction, and how gratitude and a positive frame of mind can actually draw to you the things and the people you desire.

My son has watched the CD and is very excited about it. But he made me feel really good when he told me that many of the basic teachings are things I taught him long ago. I actually wrote a poem about 20 years ago called MIND CONTROL about a mother whose son was sick, who didn’t have health insurance, but with positive thoughts, chicken soup and aspirin, his white blood cells did battle with the bacteria and made him well.

I have always believed in the power of positive thinking. We ARE what we think. If you are unhappy right now, try this. Smile. Get up and walk to the window and stretch as you smile. I guarantee that you will detect a change in your negative feelings.



We can even create our own heaven and hell right here on earth with the power of our mind. If we are constantly telling ourselves that we will fail, or that we aren’t good enough, or thinking from a place of lack, then failure, rejection, and lack will be our reality. The proof of this in my life has been overwhelming, but remaining positive in a negative world, keeping a good and grateful attitude no matter your circumstances, has to become part of who you are, it’s not a temporary remedy, it’s a way of life.

It is wonderful that people are embracing The Secret. But what I wonder is why not until now? Maybe it’s the presentation combined with timing. We live in chaotic and frightening times, and many people have become disillusioned with religion. I blame this mainly on the years and years of corruption in the church and from its leaders, and also on the violence that has been wrought in the name of religion.

I have heard rumblings that Christians feel that The Secret is trying to replace religion, and I disagree. The Secret teaches that we are energy, just as Wayne Dyer has taught for over 20 years with his belief that we are all connected to a Source. You can believe in God and Jesus and still believe in the power of your mind. God created free will, and what is that but choosing your own life?